Properties | 697 Webster Road
The Hallauer House
This traditional gable front, side wing farmhouse was built in 1858 by John D. Hettler. The barn on the property was built in the same year. Catherine Hettler, his daughter, married John Hallauer in 1864 and they lived in the Hettler home. According to a magazine article from 1901, “it was well planted with fruit, especially apples. The barns and other buildings are arranged with a view of convenience, and are well watered.” John and his brother George took over the Hallauer & Sons Evaporated Fruit business when their father died. A large portion of their business was shipping dried fruits to Hamburg, Germany. They were the largest exporters of dried fruit in the world until WWI.