Properties | 394 Phillips Road
The Charles S. Wright House
The Wright House was built circa 1856 in the Italianate style. Characteristics of this architecture are the cupola with a wood finial, low-hipped rooflines, and broad eaves. The cupola provided not only ventilation but was also used as a scenic outlook when the house was built. The house has 5 chimneys and still sports the carriage block and hitching post in the front yard. The property has a barn from the same period, a carriage house, and a chicken coop.
The land deed goes back to Caleb Lyon, Webster’s first permanent settler. John Robb purchased the property from Lyon and passed it on to his daughter, Sabrina, who married Charles S. Wright. Around 1865, Charles and Sabrina Wright built the home out of native brick and included an imported Italian marble fireplace. Mr. Wright was a prominent Websterite and served as Supervisor between 1860 and 1880.