Properties | 135 East Main Street
The F. M. Jones House
The home at 135 East Main Street in the village of Webster is an example of the Queen Anne style of architecture which was popular from 1880 – 1910. It was built circa 1890 by Frank M. Jones, who was a very successful businessman and politician. An historic marker is placed near the road in front of the home.
Mr. Jones, while working and living in Union Hill, was elected to serve as supervisor of Webster in 1885. He served from 1885 -1889 and again from 1899-1903. While serving as supervisor he was elected to the Assembly in 1890. He was re-elected in 1891 and 1892, each time by large majorities.
During Mr. Jones’ political years, he also ran a popular general store located on the northwest corner of West Main Street and North Avenue. His employee Miss Mary Hoffman lived with him and his wife for several years. After their deaths, Miss Hoffman became the owner of the property. She rented out rooms to teachers for a while and then in September of 1930 she opened her home as Webster’s second hospital. The Webster Hospital was quite successful. 194 babies were born there, but in May of 1937, it was officially closed. Mary Hoffman then operated a convalescent home for a short time. By 1940, the owners of Smith and Lotze were looking for a location to offer funerals on site. Before this, funerals were conducted in the deceased’s home. The funeral home leased the downstairs of the house and remained in this location until a new building was completed on Lapham Park in 1950.
This home has seen many visitors through the years. Many residents began life here and many had their final farewell from this lovely old home.