1208 Lake Road

Properties | 1208 Lake Road

St. Andrews Chapel by the Lake – District No. 9 Schoolhouse

Surrounded by locust trees is St. Andrew’s Chapel by the Lake.  It was built circa 1848 as the District No. 9 Schoolhouse.  In 1885, Mrs. Hannah Strowger Burnett was permitted to conduct church services there.  

In 1913, a new District No. 9 School was built on Lake Road.  The Burnett’s purchased the old building as a memorial to Hannah Burnett.  The building was moved to a site just west of the original one.  It was remodeled and used as a place of worship.

During the 1930s, it was used as a summer chapel and was served by area clergy.  In the 1980s, summer services were conducted by the Rector of the Church of the Good Shepherd of Webster.

In 2000, the first Christmas Day service was held and in 2006, the first Easter Sunrise service was held.  A tradition had begun.