Webster Assembly of God

Churches | Webster Assembly of God
708 Hard Rd. | (585) 671-2423 | www.websterag.org

In 1956, a group of 17 individuals met with Rev. and Mrs. Lorin E. Cooper to organize a new Church called the Webster Assembly of God. The church’s first services were held in the Webster Grange. In 1961, the church purchased land on Hard Rd. and in 1962, the church held its first service in the new church building at 708 Hard Rd. The church adopted a constitution in 1964 and was incorporated with 26 charter members. On December 1, 1968, Rev. Cooper resigned to further his studies and Rev. Almon M Bartholomew was installed as pastor. A new parsonage was purchased at 770 Newberry Lane in January of 1969.

The church community continued to grow and in June of 1971 at a Special Business Meeting, it was decided to build a new sanctuary with the work beginning in August of that year. Niehaus Building Systems provided counseling, design and package construction, Kimball and Nye were the architects and H. J. Wasenski Builders provided package construction and carpentry. The new addition included a new sanctuary that could seat 300 people, a nursery and classrooms at a cost of $93,000. The addition added 4100 sq ft to the building. On May 14, 1972, the Sunday School met in the old building and then proceeded to the new sanctuary for the Morning worship service. Pastor A. M. Bartholomew officiated at a dedication ceremony on October 1, 1972.

Pastor Bartholomew resigned on November 9, 1975 to accept an elected position as Superintendent of the New York District of the Assemblies of God at the state headquarters in Syracuse, NY. The congregation voted to elect Rev. Mearle Grossglass as their new pastor. Rev. Grossglass moved his family from Lebanon, PA to Webster in January of 1976.

In 1982, the church again found it needed more space and a new construction project was begun. A 15,000 sq ft addition was built to house a new sanctuary, Platform and Baptismal area, three classrooms, two nurseries, a lobby area, a prayer and choir room, three offices, a sound room, two utility rooms, remodeled restrooms, a ladies lounge, a garage and storage building and a new parking lot. The new sanctuary could now comfortably seat 550 people. The dedication of the new sanctuary took place on June 12, 1983.

In May of 1998, Pastor Mearle Grossglass resigned as pastor to accept an elected position as Secretary/Treasurer of the New York District of the Assemblies of God at the state headquarters in Syracuse, NY. In June of 1998, the congregation voted to elect Rev. Daniel Grossglass, son of Rev. Mearle Grossglass, as pastor.

December of 2003 was an exciting time for the congregation; the final payment was made on the church building. In January of 2004, a Mortgage Burning Service was held at the church to celebrate and give thanks. Three original charter members of the church Iva Hilfiker, Paul and Anita Dickinson, along with former Pastor Mearle W. Grossglass lit the mortgage as Pastor Daniel Grossglass held the mortgage during the ceremony.

In 2006, the Webster Assembly of God celebrated its 50th anniversary with special events that included the return of all of its former pastors: Rev. Lorin Cooper, Rev. Almon Bartholomew, Rev. Mearle Grossglass and current pastor Rev. Daniel Grossglass. A full day of celebration was planned which began with Sunday Morning Service. Rev. Almon Bartholomew was speaker. A Jubilee Banquet at the Knights of Columbus highlighted many of the individuals who have gone out from Webster Assembly of God into ministry and missions work. The speaker was Rev. Mearle Grossglass.

On February 10, 2018 Iva Hilfiker, a founding member, celebrated her 100th birthday with many of her family and friends at the Webster Assembly of God. Iva was a Sunday School teacher and part of the Visitation Team at the church. She attended the Thursday morning prayer group for many years and had been an active member of the church from its beginning days.

​Webster Assembly of God has always supported US missionaries and missionaries around the world. It currently supports 45 missionaries, 12 US missionaries and 33 International missionaries and programs. Locally the church supports the Open Door Mission, Saving Grace Ministries, Compass Care Pregnancy Center and The Father’s Heart.

Webster Assembly of God is a collection center for Operation Christmas Child, a project of Samaritan’s Purse an international relief organization and the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. The church takes in nearly 20,000 shoeboxes each year. The boxes are filled with toys, hygiene items and school supplies to send to children around the world and in the US to children in crisis situations. After receiving a shoebox gift, children have an opportunity to enroll in The Greatest Journey, a 12 lesson Bible course. The congregation offers a monthly meal open to the community one Sunday each month. About 80 people from Webster attend for fellowship and a home cooked meal.

Pastor’s List

Pastor Lorin E. Cooper1956-1969
Pastor Almon Bartholomew1969-1972
Pastor M. W Grossglass1976-1998
Pastor Dan Grossglass1998-
Pastor Dan Grossglass


  • Dunn, Esther, ​Webster Through the Years,​ Webster, NY, Webster Town Board, 1971, p 102, 103
  • General Church Box , Webster Assembly of God file, Webster Historian Office, Webster Museum.
  • “Webster Assembly of God 10 Years in Review 1956-1966”, Webster Assembly of God, Webster, NY, 1966.
  • “Webster Church Dedication Sunday”, Webster Herald, Webster, NY, September 27, 1972, pg 13.
  • “Church Dedication set at Assembly of God”, Webster Herald, Webster, NY, June 1, 1983, pg 13A.
  • “Assembly of God celebrates 50th anniversary”, Webster Herald, Webster, NY, November 8, 2006, pg 3.
  • “Webster Assembly of God Celebrating 50 Years 1956-2006”, Webster Assembly of God, Webster, NY.
  • “Iva Miller Hilfiker celebrates her 100th birthday”, Webster Herald, Webster, NY, February 14,1018, p10
  • Webster Herald Facebook, Webster Herald, Webster, NY, April 12, 2018.
  • Webster Assembly of God, April 2018, ​http://www.websterag.org